SKYPE/VIDEO INTERVIEW TIPS
Video interviews enable employers to get face-to-face time with candidates while saving time and money. Here are a few tips to get you through your video interview with flying colors.
- Test the links. Before the scheduled meeting time, test the app or link you’ve received to make sure it works. Contact your recruiter/interviewer to resolve technical issues. This is important! A large percentage of video interviews fail because there is a problem connecting.
- Dress for success. Treat this like an in-person interview regarding dress. The minimum requirement for a video interview is a long-sleeved dress shirt with dark dress slacks for men and a modest blouse and dark skirt or pants for women. However, we always recommend a suit to increase your chance of success.
- Check the setting. Make sure that you are in a quiet, uncluttered room where there isn’t anything distracting or disorganized behind you. Make sure the room you’re in reflects on you as organized, conscientious and professional.
- Look at the camera. It’s tempting to watch yourself or your interviewer during a video interview session, but if you look at the camera, you will make eye contact with the interviewer, which is better.
- Close other programs. Pay special attention to closing any app that makes noise to avoid unnecessary interruptions.
- Use notes. One advantage of a video interview is the ability to use a cheat-sheet! Have notes about the company, the job description, and any questions you have, as well as a copy of your resume, in view for reference. Review your notes beforehand, so you only need to glance at them and so you can maintain eye contact.
- Take notes after the call. While your memory is fresh, jot down any new information you received and note any follow-up actions that were discussed, such as a request for more information or the date and time of your next interview. Make a note of anything that seemed important to the interviewer for future reference (skills, start-date, etc.).
- Ask about next steps. Does the interviewer feel you would make a good fit for the position? What are next steps, and when will a decision be made?
- Send a thank you note. Send a note to your interviewer immediately – an email is sufficient. Ask your BravoTECH recruiter for tips on composing a winning thank you note.
- Call your recruiter. Let them know how the interview went and what next steps were discussed.
Connect With Us